Friday, March 20, 2009

First Dr. Visit Post Medication

Everyone-

I'm posting a little late this week, we wanted to get the doctor visit out of the way in hopes of providing you all with some detailed info regarding Ret's progress, but more on that later.

Here I go again! As with my last posts I've mentioned some of the great things that you've done for us that truly give us hope but more importantly let's us know how blessed we are to have each of you as family and friends. Well again this is one I should have mentioned right from the get-go. I've had a number of comments regarding what a great idea it was to create this blog enabling all of you to keep track of Ret's progress. Well guess what.............it really wasn't me! I know, I know you're shocked, me too I usually come up with all the great ideas. But really it was Kim Christianson and her daughter Andrea, they had the idea, created the layout then passed it on to me. How easy was that huh? What I really should do is put them in the witness protection program because giving me another avenue to blab, JUST AIN'T RIGHT, and may put their lives in danger!! Let me give you a little hint just skip the first paragraph or two go right to where I talk about Ret and you'll be spared. Another cool thing is we received a Prayer Shawl from Jim and Sue Gronhovd, TJ's in-laws, that a lady in their church the Pilgrim Lutheran Church in Puyallup made, it is truly a beautiful piece of work and craftsmanship. It also came with two wonderful prayers one which was said during the entire time she worked on the shawl....incredible. There are certain things that Ret wants to take with her while she stays at the Fred Hutch for the transplant and treatment and I've been told this shawl is definitely one of them. I know I've said this before and I know I will say it again you people are amazing!

Our first post medical treatment doctor appointment was today, unfortunately we didn't get the blood labs back so while we didn't get any real factual information, outside of the normal, the doctor was happy with Ret's progress to date. We discussed the side effects Ret has been experiencing along with other tidbits and again the doctor said all seemed to be normal. One troubling bit of info was that because Ret's form of this particular cancer is a very aggressive, was that she was to be on two drugs to manage the disease not just the Thalidomide, the other being Dexamethasone, well she wasn't. While this is not particularly large problem it's certainly not what we wanted to hear. Lesson here ask ask ask! The weird thing was in all the literature we read the Dexa drug was mentioned but we also knew and discussed with the doc that in many cases the Thalidomide was the appropriate drug therapy. Again not a huge problem but hey you want it right from the start, well we're now on the right path so things are looking up. As I mentioned before our first visit to the Fred Hutch will be on March 30th, while we approach that visit with a certain sense of trepidation, which may sound weird to some of you, it will set us on a course to recovery.

I can only say, words large or small, cleverly crafted or just written in plain language, can't express how we feel about each of you.

Love,
Ret and Jack

5 comments:

  1. Dear Lauretta and Jack,
    Thanks for the latest update. Your spirit remains an inspiration, and we all know you will stay strong. I'll see you in May ... still working out the details.
    Love,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack and Lauretta,

    So nice to spend some time with you recently. Lauretta, you look "maavalous"! And it sounds like you're feeling a bit better, too. At least you're sleeping in a bed again.

    Those darned doc's -- not getting the meds right. But you're on the right path now. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say at Fred Hutch.

    Keep up the good fight.

    You're in my prayers.

    Love,

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jack and Lauretta, We are praying for your health every day. We would love to help you out some way. Jack, perhaps you or your family members need a place to stay while Lauretta is at the hospital...we are 5 minutes from downtown Seattle. We have two bedrooms in the back that are very private and comfortable! Let us know if this sounds good..on another note...you are a very good writer! We appreciate the effort it takes to keep us informed...Love, Ken & Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jack and Lauretta,

    God is the great physician and will continue to guide the doctors.

    We continue to pray for you all and love you both!

    Donna and Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lauretta and Jack,

    Glad to hear the Docs are on the right page now. I think of you and your kids every day and keep you in my prayers. I wish I could do more.I sure appreciate the blog, thanks again Jack.I will be praying extra hard on the 30th and hoping all goes well.Hang in there!!

    Much love,

    Sharon :)

    ReplyDelete