Thursday, February 26, 2009

To Our Friends and Family-

It's due to your love, thoughts, wishes, prayers and overwhelming support that we've created this site or blog I guess. If it were me that had this dreaded condition, instead of Ret, one phone call would have done it. Sorry I just had to throw that in. Again that is why we created this site to help you follow her journey.

As many of you know and for those who are visiting here for the first time Ret has been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a blood borne cancer that affects the skeletal structure. Luckily it's treatable however as with most cancers not curable. I won't bore you with what I know and don't know at this time, however there a number of sites available that you can visit that will provide those of you who might be interested in researching this condition further.

Safe to say it's been along journey already to get to this point, we've had about five months of trial and error numerous doctors, tests, retests, pushes, prods, needles and I guess too much more to mention. That said we've finally reached the point where treatment started, actually yesterday. We're lucky that her treatment is a daily dose of a drug called Thalidomide, yes the 1950's drug that was called "the flipper baby drug", you can research that as well. But basically it helps cut off the blood supply to the cancer cells. I know that may not sound lucky but at least we're not making daily trips to some clinic somewhere in the middle of the day. Plus it's only $5,300.00 per months supply, thank god for insurance. The goal is to get the cancer into remission, capture some of Ret's bone marrow, freeze it then do a "Stem Cell Transplantation" know as "Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation" which is using the patients own cells. This has proven be more effective than using donors for the transplant. As with all treatments they are dependent upon how the patient accepts or rejects those treatments and the time lines for those are just as varied.

Hopefully this has given you a little background on Ret's condition, our plans for moving forward and a way to keep in touch as we move ahead on her journey to recovery.

Also we hope that you understand that this is the best way for us to keep so many of you up to date on her progress. Again as I said earlier, if it was me not problem one phone call would do it, but with Ret we don't have enough phones, phone lines or time to answer each of you individually.

Again, thanks for all your support.

All Our Love
Ret and Jack

11 comments:

  1. Jack, thank you for taking on the task of "Family Blogger" & sharing this information to us during this time.

    Lauretta, we have been thinking about you so much these last few weeks, and wanting to reach out, but not wanting to disturb you. We can't imagine what is been like for you, Jack and the family; the frustration of being told one thing and then discovering the diagnosis of late. However, we are glad to hear that treatment is underway.

    Lauretta, I know that you will get through this. You are the most capable and courageous woman I know! Please know that we are sending you positive healing thoughts everyday! We hope to see you soon here in Turtle Rock. We love you guys!

    Besos y Abrazos Siempre!
    Christina, John, Alex, John & Josefina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauretta,

    Don just shared the news with me today. Please know I am praying for you and I believe we serve a powerful, healing Almighty Living God who will be with you through all. You will remain in our prayers and I will sign in daily to comment on your progress!

    We love you from St. Croix.

    Donna and Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauretta,

    I am thinking of you and praying for you,Jack, TJ and Shelby every day.
    Thanks, Jack for giving all of us who love you all a way to keep in touch and send our prayers and good wishes. Especially those of us who live so far away.
    Your positive attitude will make a big difference in your treatment, Lauretta. I hope that all the thoughts and prayers from friends and family will help as well.

    Love and God Bless,
    Sharon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Guys,

    We are all thinking of you and know that the strength of your family will get you through. Lauretta you are one of the strongest women I know so be tough and keep fighting!! Please know you have alot of support so call on us if you need anything, we are sending all our positive energy your way. Jack - thank you so much for the update, you guys have been in our thoughts every day since we heard the news, it's good to hear things are moving forward.

    Take care and we love you guys!!
    Hollie, Geoff, Allie and Ty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauretta and Jack, my old buddies, I miss you and love you.

    Lauretta, you are a fighter and will get through this. You have been blessed with a strong family and group of friends that will be there for you always. Just remember, I can be there in a heartbeat to be your friend, to be your helper or for whatever need you might have. Idaho is not that far away.

    God and I talk every night and believe me he is hearing a lot about you. You take care of yourself and Jack if there is anything I can do for you and the kids please call me. 208 634 4949. Rory, Hanna and Shane say hello and hope that you are feeling better soon Lauretta.

    Love you,

    Donna, Rory, Hanna and Shane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you mom! It looks like the rest of the world knows how strong you are too. Like Donna said, you have a strong family and we'll help you thru this every step of the way. You are and have always been my hero! My beautiful, strong, amazing mother. I love you.
    Shelby Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauretta, Jack and family...know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time...

    Lauretta...it has been since our 30th class reunion that I saw you and Jack last..but I remember way back in high school you being fiesty and determined and you never gave up!

    You are going to come out on the other side of this a stronger lady, if that's even possible :)

    Sending only good thoughts your way...from La Lucila, Argentina..just a little North of Buenos Aires.

    Todo lo mejor mi amiga!!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack & Lauretta,

    We are at my house gabbing away and having fun! Thinking about you - trying to figure out how to post to your blog. So, we are playing here.

    Tami, Pat, Pam, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauretta and Jack, our thoughts are with you. So sorry you have to face this trying situation. We wish you the very best. We will find a way to see you soon. Maybe Bill can come up with an appropriate potion. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauretta,

    I have been wanting to reach out for quite some time and tell you how sorry I am for what you are going through. I think of you often and will continue to keep you and the family in my prayers.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Jack, Ret, T.J. & Shelby,

    I want you to all know that my love and prayers are with each of you. I will be here for you in anyway you need me.

    Ret, we all knew the first time Jack brought you home you were a keeper. You have been more of a sister to me than a sister-in-law and I love you dearly!!

    You have already faced you biggest challenge being married to my brother (just kidding brother) You have a great heart and you are a fighter. We are all here for you!!!

    Much Love and God Bless,

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete